Rolex Day-Date 18k Black 1978
Our reference is the 18038, which was part of the next generation of Day-Dates released in 1978, at its launch replacing the famed ref. 1803 and updating the President towards a slightly more modern style.
At its core, the ref. 18038 is the quintessential Day-Date, complete with its classic namesake dial configuration, solid gold 36mm case and fluted bezel. This updated version did, however, feature a new watertight construction, now designed to be water resistant up to 100 meters, in addition to a sapphire crystal to better scratch resistance. On the dial, a wide variety of configurations were offered with this reference, but compared to its predecessors, the edge of the dial was no longer sloped downwards in a pie pan style; instead, they were flat.
The most useful upgrade for this reference was the addition of a single quick-set date (not day) function.
- excellent overall condition, showing no traces of use
- 3- body 18k yellow gold case with screw-down case back (135 gram)
- 36 mm (without crown) / 43 mm (lug-to-lug) / 19 mm (between lugs)
- original Rolex 18k President bracelet without stretch fitting up to 18 cm wrist
- Year: 1978
- Reference: 1803 / 8
- Rolex Automatic Caliber 3055
- 27 jewels, 28800 A/h, 50 hours power reserve
- professionally serviced 04/2023
- +5sec/d / 300°
- original never touched glossy black dial in flawless condition
- original hands, dial and crown
- original and evenly aged tritium on hands and dial
- tiny round scratch at the original crystal at 6 o'clock
Has this been authenticated?
All watches at Goldammer are guaranteed authentic by our trusted watchmakers and us. Certificate included!
Has this been serviced?
All watches at Goldammer are professionally serviced before being offered at our shop. Servicing is done by our trusted watchmakers and gone through very capable hands.
Each watch comes with a 1-year mechanical warranty so if anything goes wrong, please let us know immediately.
We definitely want you to love your watch, so you always have 14 days to fall in love or return to Goldammer, no questions asked.
How much is the shipping?
We exclusively deliver worldwide via DHL Express which is free for you.
Given that most of our watches are around half a century old, they will need to be treated with extra love and care, and they require servicing every 4-5 years.